|I have published around 120 journal papers, over 300 conference papers, delivered over 100 keynote addresses, and written numerous articles. I have listed 48 sample journal papers below. For further details on my publications, please visit my web site at
Data and Applications Security
- Security Checking in Relational Database Management Systems Augmented with Inference Engines, Computers and Security Journal, December 1987 (North Holland), Vol. 6, No. 6, pp. 479-492.
- Secure Query Processing Strategies, IEEE Computer, March 1989,Vol. 22, No. 3 (invited paper, co-authors: T. F. Keefe and W. T. Tsai).
- Towards the Design of a Secure Data/Knowledge Base Management System, Data and Knowledge Engineering Journal, March 1990, (North Holland), Vol. 5, No. 1.
- Security in Object-Oriented Database Systems, , Journal of Object‑Oriented Programming, March/April 1990, Vol. 2, No. 6. (also reprinted in book on object-oriented database management systems by SIG publishers).
- Design of LDV - A Multilevel Secure Database Management System, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, June 1990, Vol. 2, No. 2 (co-author: P. Stachour).
- Multilevel Secure Object-Oriented Data Model - Issues on Noncomposite Objects, Composite Objects, and Versioning, Journal of Object-Oriented Programming, Volume 4, November/December 1991. (Version of the article reprinted by the MITRE Journal, 1992.) (Also reprinted in book on object-oriented database management systems by SIG publishers.)
- Multilevel Security Issues in Distributed Database Management Systems – II, Computers and Security Journal (Elsevier), Volume 10, No. 8, December 1991.
- Design and Implementation of a Distributed Query Processor for a Trusted Distributed Database Management Systems, Journal of Systems and Software, April 1993 (North Holland), Vol. 21, No. 1 (co-author: Harvey Rubinovitz).
- Design and Implementation of a Database Inference Controller, Data and Knowledge Engineering Journal, December 1993 (North Holland), Vol. 11, No. 3, p. 271 – 297, (co-authors: W. Ford, M. Collins, J. O'Keeffe); (Article reprinted by the MITRE Journal, 1994).
- Towards Developing a Standard Multilevel Relational Data Model for Representing a Multilevel Universe, Computer Standards and Interfaces Journal (North Holland), Vol. 15, No. 1, 1993 (also published by Computer Standards Interface Journal special issue in 1999 as one of the seminal papers to appear in the journal).
- Multilevel Security for Information Retrieval Systems, Information and Management Journal (North Holland) Vol. 24, 1993.
- Security Issues for Federated Database Systems, Computers and Security (North Holland), Vol. 13, No. 6, p. 509 – 525, December 1994.
- Security Constraint Processing in a Multilevel Secure Distributed Database Management System, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, April 1995 (co-author: W. Ford).
- Adaptable Object Request Brokers for Information Survivability for Real-time Command and Control Systems, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 1999, p. 242 – 245 (co-author: J. Maurer).
- Selective and Authentic Third-Party Publication of XML Documents, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 16, No. 10, p. 1263 – 1278, 2004 (co-author: E. Bertino et al). (version also published as MIT Working Paper, 2002)
- Security and Privacy for Sensor Databases, Sensor Letters, Inaugural Issue (American Scientific), Vol. 2, No.1, March 2004.
- Security and Privacy for Multimedia Database Management Systems, Multimedia Tools (Kluwer), Vol. 33, No. 1, October 2007 (keynote at IEEE Multimedia Software Engineering and Distributed Multimedia 2003).
- Privacy-preserving Data Mining: Developments and Directions, Journal of Database Management, (special issue in Database Technologies for National Security), p. 75 – 87, March 2005.
- Security Standards for the Semantic Web, Computer Standards and Interface Journal (North Holland), Vol. 27, p. 257 – 268, March 2005 (version of COMPSAC Conference workshop paper, 2003).
- Directions for Security and Privacy for Semantic E-Business Applications, Invited Paper, Communications of ACM, December 2005.
- A New Intrusion Detection System using Support Vector Machines and Hierarchical Clustering, Accepted in VLDB Journal, 2005 (co-authors: M. Awad et al; 2007).
- A Framework for a Video Analysis Tool for Suspicious Event Detection, Multimedia Tools, Vol. 35 No. 1, October 2007 (co-author: G. Lavee et al).
- Secure Knowledge Management: Confidentiality, Trust and Privacy, IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, May 2006 (co-authors: E. Bertino et al) (based on keynote presented at SKM 2004).
- PP-trust-X: A System for Privacy Preserving Trust Negotiation, ACM Transactions on Information and Systems Security, Vol. 10, July 2007 (co-author: E. Bertino et al).
- Security for ERP Systems, Information Systems Security Journal, May 2007 (co-author: W. She).
- Design and Implementation of a Framework for Assured Information Sharing Across Organizational Boundaries, International Journal of Information Security and Privacy, 2008. (co-authors:Y. Harsha Kumar et al).
27. The Applicability of the Perturbation Based Privacy Preserving Data Mining for Real-World Data,, " Data and Knowledge Engineering (DKE), Vol. 65, No. 1, p.5-21, 2008 Leading Journal (co-authors: L. Liu, M. Kantarcioglu).
28. A Risk Management Approach to RBAC, Risk and Decision Analysis Journal, 2008 (co-authors: E. Celikel, M. Kantarcioglu, E. Bertino).
- Classification and Novel Class Detection in Concept-Drifting Data Streams under Time Constraints, Accepted and to appear in IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 2010 (co-authors: M. Masud, L. Khan, J. Han).
- Policy and Model for Social Networks, Accepted Computers and Security, 2010 (special issue for SACMAT conference) (co-authors: B. Carminati et al).
- Secure Data Objects Replication in Data Grid, IEEE Transactions on Dependable and Secure Computing, January 2010 (co-authors: Manghui Tu, Peng Li, I-Ling Yen, Bhavani Thuraisingham, and Latifur Khan)
- Security Issues for Cloud Computing, Journal of Information Security and Privacy, Accepted 2010. (coauthors: K. Hamlen, L. Khan, M. Kantarcioglu)
Information Management and Data Mining
33. Recovery Point Selection on a Reverse Binary Tree Task Model, August 1989, IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, Vol. 15, No.8, (co-authors: W. T. Tsai and S. K Chen).
34. From Rules to Frames and Frames to Rules, October 1989, AI Expert (Miller Freeman Publishers) Volume 2, No. 10. (Reviewed by Editorial Board).
35. Information Demands Drive Data Base Interoperability, SIGNAL Magazine: AFCEA Journal, December 1995.
36. Real-time Transaction Processing, Computer Systems: Science and Practice (Chapman and Hall), 1999 (co-authors: L. DiPippo, V. Wolfe et al).
37. A Primer for Understanding Data Mining, IEEE ITPro, Vol., 2, No. 1, January/February 2000.
38. Real-time CORBA, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol. 11, No. 10, October 2000 (co-author: V. Wolfe et al).
39. Scheduling and Priority Mapping for Static Real-Time Middleware, Real-time Systems Journal (Kluwer), Vol. 20, p. 155 -182, 2001 (co-author: V. Wolfe, L. DiPippo et al).
40. Emerging Standards for Data Mining, Computer Standards and Interface Journal (North Holland), Vol. 23, No. 3, 2001 (co-author: C. Clifton).
41. Predicting WWW Surfing Using Multiple Evidence Combination, VLDB Journal, May 2008 (co-author: M. Awad et al).
42. A Framework for Automated Image Annotation, International Journal of Computer Systems Science and Engineering, Vo1. 22, No. 1 – 2, 2007, (co-author: L Wang et al).
43. Emergency Response Applications: Dynamic Plume Modeling and Real-Time Routing, IEEE Internet Computing, Vol. 12, No. 1, p. 38-44, January - February 2008,(co-authors: P. K. Chitumalla, D. Harris, L. Khan).
44. R2D: A Bridge Between the Semantic Web and Relational Visualization Tools, Semantic Computing Journal, 2009. (co-authors: S. Sriram et al).
45. Necessary and Sufficient condition for Transaction consistent Global Checkpoints in Distributed database systems, Information Sciences, Volune 129, September 2009 (coauthor: D. Mannivannan)
- Data Intensive Query Processing for Large RDF Graphs Using Cloud Computing Tools Mohammad Husain, Latifur Khan, Bhavani Thuraisingham and Murat Kantarcioglu IEEE Transaction on Service Computing (TSC), 2011.
- Geographically-Typed Semantic Schema Matching Jeffrey Partyka, P. Parveen1, Latifur Khan, B. Thuraisingham, Shashi Shekhar Journal of Web Semantics (accepted November 2010).
- Classification and Novel Class Detection in Concept-Drifting Data Streams under Time Constraints, Accepted IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, 2010 (co-authors: M. Masud, J. Gao, L. Khan, J. Han).