- Recipient of IEEE Computer Society’s 1997 Technical Achievement Award for contributions to secure distributed database management. As cited by IEEE, “this award is given to individuals who have made outstanding and innovative contributions in the field of computer and information science and engineering within the past 15 years”. Presented at the IEEE COMPSAC Conference, Bethesda, MD, August 1997.
- IEEE Senior Member 1997 (Received in May 1997; an IEEE Fellow since January 2003)
- Recipient of Career Communication Inc.’s National 2001 Woman of Color Technology Research Leadership Award (Presented at the Annual Woman of Color Conference, Atlanta, GA, October 2001).
- Featured in SiliconIndia’s May 2002 issue as one of the top seven technology innovators (the only woman) in USA of South Asian origin (others are from Stanford, Berkeley, MIT, NASA, PARC and HP Labs). The innovation was for data and web security.
- Recipient of IEEE’s 2003 Fellow Award for Contributions to Secure Systems involving databases, distributed systems and the web. As stated by IEEE, “each year, following a rigorous evaluation procedure, the IEEE Fellow Committee recommends a select group of recipients for one of the Institute's most prestigious honors, election to IEEE Fellow”. (January 2003)
- Recipient of AAAS (American Association for the Advancement of Science) 2003 Fellow Award for “Outstanding and Innovative Contributions to Secure Database Systems and Secure Web Information Systems” (Presented at the AAAS Annual Conference, Seattle, WA, February 2004)
- Recipient of British Computer Society (BCS) 2005 Fellow Award for contributions to information technology (March 2005)
- IEEE Distinguished Lecturer, 2002-2005
- 2010 Research Leadership Award for Outstanding and Sustained Leadership Contributions to the Field of Intelligence and Security Informatics presented jointly by the IEEE Intelligent Transportation Systems Society’s Technical Committee on Intelligence and Security Informatics in Transportation Systems and the IEEE Systems, Man and Cybernetics Society’s Technical Committee on Homeland Security (Presented at the IEEE ISI Conference, Van Couver, BC, May 2010)
- 2010 ACM SIGSAC Outstanding Contributions Award for seminal research contributions and leadership in data and applications security for over 25 years (Presented at the ACM CCS Conference Chicago, IL, October 2010)
- 2010 ACM Distinguished Scientist (October 2010)
- 2011 AFCEA (Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association) Medal of Merit for Service to AFCEA and Sustained Professional Excellence in Communications, Electronics, Intelligence and Information Systems. (Presented in Norfolk, VA, May 2011).
- Recipient of 2011 SDPS (Society for Design and Process Science) Fellow Award for Trans-disciplinary research in cyber security (Presented at the SDPS Conference in Jeju Island, S. Korea, June 2011).
- Recipient of 2011 Society of Information Reuse and Integration Fellow Award for “outstanding research contributions and leadership in Secure Knowledge Management”. (Presented at the IEEE IRI Conference in Las Vegas, NV, August 2011)
- Recipient of 2012 SDPS Transformative Achievement Gold Medal for Trans-disciplinary Research in Cyber Security (integrating security, computer and information sciences and social sciences) June 2012, Berlin, Germany.
- Top 15 Cyber Security Professors named by Forensics Colleges, December 2013
- Recipient of the 2014 Inaugural Award for Outstanding Research Leadership in Information Management, Integration, Reuse and Security presented at the IEEE IRI (Information Reuse and Integration) Conference in San Francisco, CA in August 2014 by the Society for Information Reuse and Integration.
Note: Numerous ceritifcate of appreciations for delivering keynote addresses and serving as conference program chair and general chair among others.
- MITRE Program Achievement Awards 1997 (AWACS), 2002 and 2005 (IRS Research Credit)
- MITRE Director’s Awards 1997 (Data Mining), 1997 (Distributed Objects)
- MITRE Author of the Month Award (1997, 1999)
- Honeywell Computer Sciences Center Employee of the Month Award (April 1987)
- Control Data Corporation, Arden Hill Programming Division, CDCNET Award (September 1985)
- NSF Program Awards (ITR 2003, Cyber Trust 2005)
- Louis A. Beecherl, Jr. I Distinguished Professorship in the Erik Jonsson School of Engineering and Computer Science, The University of Texas at Dallas, 2010
- UTD Author Receptions for 5 books written and published while at UTD (2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013)
- UTD Invention Disclosure Award, April 2010
- UTD Invention Disclosure and Tech Transfer Award, November 2010
BEST PAPER AWARDS
- Best paper award, IEEE Conference on Systems Sciences, 1988 on Secure Query Processing Strategies (Invited paper published in IEEE Computer, March 1989)
- Best paper award at the IEEE ICTAI Conference, 2013